Dorothy "Didi" Anstett's Cheese Souffle
4 tbsps. sweet butter
4 tbsps. flour
Pinch of white pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
2 dashes cayenne
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 cup warm milk
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Melt butter over very low heat. Gradually stir in flour. Cook, stirring over low heat until thick and smooth.
2. Add seasonings and milk. Cook, stirring over low heat until thick and smooth. Cool.
3 Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored; add to cooled white sauce with Parmesan cheese.
4. Beat egg whites until very stiff but not dry; lightly fold into the yolk-cheese mixture.
5. Lightly butter a straight-sided souffle dish. Shake a little flour over bottom of dish. Fill no more than 3/4 full. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F. oven for 15 mins. Increase heat to 450 degrees and bake 10 mins. longer. Serve at once. Serves 4.
Dorothy "Didi" Anstett's Escargot Provencale
1 can of snails (contains about 1 1/2 dozen snails)
1/4 lb. sweet butter
2 finely minced shallots
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. minced fresh tarragon (or preserved tarragon found in tarragon vinegar, rinse well before chopping)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Dash of A-1 sauce
1. Drain snails; rinse snails and shells carefully under running water; drain both well on absorbent paper.
2. Soften butter. Add shallots, garlic, parsley, tarragon, salt, pepper and A-1 sauce. Place a dab of escargot butter in each shell. Stuff each shell with snail, seal opening with more butter mixture.
3. Place snails on escargot pan (or metal pan). Bake in preheated 500 degrees F. oven 2-3 mins. (or until the butter is sizzling). Run under broiler before serving at once with French bread. Serves 2.
Dorothy "Didi" Anstett's Tossed Salad
1/2 clove cut garlic
1 small head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
1 small red onion, cut in rings
1 small carrot, peeled, grated
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 large head Bibb lettuce
1 large head iceberg lettuce
3 tbsps. olive oil
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rub salad bowl with cut garlic. Trim cauliflower, discarding thick stalks.
2. Add flowerets, onion rings, carrot, green and red pepper, and crispened Bibb and iceberg lettuce to salad bowl. Toss slightly, chill well.
3. Just before serving prepare dressing using olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Toss lightly to serve 4-6.