Marya Mannes' Artichokes
For the artichokes:
4 large artichokes
1 small clove of garlic
1/2 cut lemon
1. Cut off stalks, cut into base enough to remove 3 large layers of tough outer leaves. Rinse well to remove sand.
2. Trim bases with sharp knife. Stand artichokes in bottom of saucepan (rubbed with garlic). Fill to one-inch depth with salted boiling water. Squeeze lemon into boiling water. Cover, simmer 35-40 minutes (or until leaves pull easily). Add more water as needed.
3. Turn artichokes upside down to dry. Serve hot or cold with faux Hollandaise. Serves 4.
For the faux Hollandaise:
3 egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
Scant 3 tbsps. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. paprika
1. In top of double boiler, mix beaten egg yolks with sour cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper and paprika. Cook over simmering water until yolks begin to thicken, stirring constantly. Do not boil. Remove from water. Serve. Makes about 1 cup.
Marya Mannes' Leg of Lamb Rosemary
4-lb. boned, rolled leg of lamb
1/2 cut lemon
Handful fresh chopped (or dried) rosemary
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Trim off extra fat, but leave fell (outer filament) intact. Rub outside with lemon. Sprinkle rosemary generously over the entire surface. Season well with salt and pepper. Place roast on rack in roasting pan.
2. Insert meat thermometer in fleshiest part of the meat. Roast in preheated 300 degrees oven about 2 hours (or until meat thermometer registers 145 degrees for rare).
3. Allow roast to firm up a few minutes before carving. The inside meat should be pink in appearance. Garnish with parsley and sliced lemon. Serve with mint sauce if desired. Serves 8.