Betsy Palmer's Prime Ribs of Beef on the Rocks
5 lbs. pure rock salt
2 cups water
2 ribs of prime roast beef (short ribs detached), weighing 5-6 lbs.
1. Have butcher prepare roast as follows: detach short ribs (reserve for another meal), trim off excess fat, crack the shinbone for easy carving.
Tie roast if needed. Insert a roast meat thermometer into the center of the roast.
2. Place salt in a pail, moisten well with water. Place thick layer of salt in bottom of shallow roasting pan.
3. Place roast, fat side up, on bed of salt. Cover all sides of roast with moistened salt. Roast, uncovered, in preheated 325 degree F. oven until the roast meat thermometer indicates degree of doneness desired -- 140 degree F. for rare, 160 degree F. for medium or 170 degree F. for well done.
4. Scrape off salt from roast with knife, remove roast to a heated platter. Slice to desired thickness. Serve with baked potatoes, green vegetable and green salad. Serves 6.
Betsy Palmer's String Beans
3 pounds garden fresh string beans
8 slices bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1 small white onion, sliced
A few gratings freshly ground pepper
Salt to taste
1. Saute bacon in large cooking pan until barely crisp.
2. Meanwhile wash beans thoroughly, rejecting any limp or shriveled beans. Remove blossom and stem ends, pull on strings, break beans into bite-size pieces. Add beans, onion, and pepper to bacon. Stir well to mix. Cover, cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until beans are "al dente." Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Salt to taste. Serves 6.